Secondary sector activities are the use of raw materials to produce something new and more valuable. Here in this article, we have explained what are secondary activities, their meaning, definition, and examples.
► What are Secondary Sector Activities?
Secondary Sector Activities or assembling are those exercises that change natural substances into results of more worth to individuals. Changing a mash of wood into paper and paper into a scratchpad addresses the two phases of the assembling process.
◉ Secondary Sector Meaning
- Secondary Sector activities mean using raw materials to produce or manufacture something new.
- Manufacturing of processed food, FMCG products, iron, and steel, and electricity production are the final product of the secondary sector produced by getting raw materials from the primary sector.
- It results in a finished, tangible product.
The completed has more worth and utility than the natural substance that it is made from. Industry alludes to a monetary action that is worried about the creation of merchandise, extraction of minerals, or the arrangement of administrations.
In this manner, we have the iron and steel industry (creation of products), the coal mining industry (extraction of coal), and the travel industry (specialist co-op).
A portion of the secondary activities exercises is car creation, metalworking, and refining, compound and designing enterprises, energy utilities, material creation, aviation producing, designing, breweries and bottlers, development, and shipbuilding.
◉ Definition of Secondary Sector Activities
“Secondary Sector activities are defined as the activities of manufacturing, processing, and construction. It is related to transforming raw materials into valuable products, Many secondary activities which are not carried on in factories are also included in industries like the “tourism industry” and entertainment industry.”
“The secondary activities of the economy manufacture finished goods. All manufacturing, processing, and construction lies within the secondary sector. Activities associated with the secondary sector include metal working and smelting, automotive production, textile production, chemical and engineering industries, aerospace manufacturing, energy utilities, engineering, breweries and bottlers, construction, and shipbuilding.”
- The creation interaction is accountable for gathering crude assets and changing those over to items that might be bought by individuals in the mass market.
- It includes a wide scope of areas connecting with building or creating usable and completed merchandise. The optional area centers around the development of the essential business fully intent on promoting and exchanging.
- Creation offices, organizations, To change over crude parts into palatable things, apparatus and fuel are important.
Also Read :What is Primary Sector of Economy?
- There is a high significance of the auxiliary area. This area creates surplus energy and extra as a side-effect of the technique for creation. It unleashes devastation for the most part on the environment at a period when there is contamination at an unsurpassed high. This area is commonly considered an interfacing factor between different areas that are essential and tertiary.
- Creation through areas has contributed a ton to a country’s work creation. Nations that truly can successfully sell modern merchandise are to be sure considerably more liable to have a higher net Gross homegrown item.
- That, consequently, advances higher tax collection and great wages, which are fundamental in an institutional model to further develop projects as well as administrations.
- Auxiliary area economies flourish in industrialized countries since they give a request to work on the force of monetarily strong open doors. It builds local area adaptability as well as advances continuous and planned achievement.
- At present, the auxiliary firm remembers approximately 20 percent of the functioning populace in the U. S.
► Importance of Secondary Sector
- All of the assembling, handling, and development exists in the optional area.
- Exercises related to the optional area incorporate metalworking and refining, auto-creation, material creation, substance and designing businesses, aviation producing, energy utilities, designing, distilleries and bottlers, development, and shipbuilding.
- Ventures which are associated with making additional important and valuable merchandise from the results of essential activities, for example, farming, ranger service, fishing, and mining are called auxiliary exercises.
- An optional exercise is a movement performed by a unit notwithstanding its main action.
- It creates greater work in the economy and helps in working on the way of life and per capita pay of individuals quickly.
- The auxiliary area is reliant upon essential areas however after the handling of products in businesses its worth expansion is more which prompts greater productivity.
- Fabricating exercises assists with creating completed items that frame a piece of optional area’s exercises.
- The essential capacity of optional exercises or assembling is to change unrefined components into results of more worth to individuals.
► Types of Secondary Sector Activities
It usually involves taking raw materials and making them into a finished product or semi-finished product.
For example in a sawmill,
- Raw Material – a raw material could be the trunk of a tree.
- Semi-Finished Product – A semi-finished product could be planks of wood.
- Finished Product – A finished product could be a table or a door.
To change Raw Materials into semi-finished or finished products we must process them. Secondary economic activities usually take place in factories or workshops.
Some factories may only take raw materials and make them into semi-finished products. Other factories may only take semi-finished products and make them into finished products.
Secondary economic activity may be seen as a system. Each system has Inputs, Processes, and Outputs.
- Inputs – These are the things that we need to put in at the start.
- Processes – These are the things we do the inputs to turn into semi-finished or finished products.
- Outputs – These are the things we have at the end.
► Examples of Secondary Sector Activities
- Car Manufacturer
- Stitching Cloth
- Firing Pottery
- Baking bread
- Making Electronic products i.e. TV, Mobile phones
- House construction
These examples are categorized into two categories.
◉ Two Categories of Secondary Activities
- Lightweight product Industry
- Heavy weight products Industry
✔ 1. Lightweight product Industry
It is characterized as assembling movement that takes a modest quantity of an item that is to some degree handled or is an unrefined substance to make resulting in the exorbitant cost per unit weight. Its effect on the climate is low whenever contrasted and weighty ventures. This work concentrated industry doesn’t need either a huge region or an enormous amount of natural substance. It is utilized as a method for creating items for the end purchaser.
Examples of lightweight products and businesses are as follows;
- Material factories, assembling of clothing, and cowhide fabricating.
- Items connected with tobacco and refreshments like wineries, container masala, gutka, refineries, assembling of filtered water, sodas, and breweries.
- Assembling of food things like breakfast oat, frozen food, dried out food, and frozen yogurt.
- Producing food things for pets like crazy food.
✔ 2. Heavy weight products Industry
Weighty enterprises allude to the assembling and creation process for an enormous scope that includes weighty and huge offices, gear, regions, machine devices, and a complicated and huge scope foundation. It needs high capital speculation contrasted with light businesses.
Examples of Heavy weight products and businesses are as follows;
- Glass and different related items.
- Compound assemblings like modern gas, petrochemical assembling of ethyl liquor, compost, engineered color, and shade.
- Modern apparatus, mining, development, and farming.
- Cement and concrete creation.
- Assembling of coal and oil-based goods like a black-top shingle, treatment facilities, oil, and covering materials.
- Steel and iron factories, assembling of steel items, creation, and handling of aluminum, and assembling of ferroalloy.
- Transportation, trailer fabricating, aviation items, and working of boats and boats.
► Advantages of Secondary Activities
- Secondary industries have helped in creating open doors for work. It offers occupation to the largest number of individuals after cultivating
- The completed items in our homes are the aftereffect of assembling and creating a cycle in this area. These items have helped in making our life simpler.
- Optional businesses have helped in the development and flourishing of nations. Whenever individuals have enough, they are at risk to make good on more duties. This sum is involved by the public authority for the government assistance of its residents.
- Industrialization is the aftereffect of optional ventures, and it has led to fewer imports and abundant trades. This empowers better pay through unfamiliar trade and hence makes the country more prosperous.
- Assists the nations with benefitting and practice from economies of the offer.
Also Read :Tertiary Sector of Economy
► Disadvantages of Secondary Sector
- The greatest detriment of optional enterprises is that it has expanded the degree of contamination to unbelievable statures. The toxic gas produced throughout the long term has been a central point for a dangerous atmospheric deviation.
- The waste materials are dirtying our waterways.
- Auxiliary enterprises will quite often draw in specialists due to open positions and better checks. The specialists have moved base from country to metropolitan regions, and it can prompt issues like the absence of appropriate lodging, essential conveniences, and a few medical issues.
- The inclination of laborers is in the auxiliary business and not in the essential area because the cash and opportunity here are more contrasted with the essential business. This is making a hole that can bring about a lack of laborers in the horticulture area.
- The colossal hole between poor people and the rich are ascribed to auxiliary enterprises that are making a rich individual more extravagant and a needy individual more unfortunate.
► Characteristics of Secondary Activities
- Specialization of skills and methods of production
- Technological Innovation
- Organizational Structure and Stratification
- Work and capital are essential.
- Light weight product-based businesses are arranged in metropolitan regions and weighty ventures outside metropolitan regions.