Strategic Management is a subject in management study and courses like PGDM, MBA, B.com, M.com, BBA, ..etc. Here we have shared all the topics that are in the syllabus of Strategic Management in the third semester of MBA (Master of Business Administration).
First of all, let’s discuss the basic things like what is Strategic Management, the definition of Strategic Management and its objectives, and why we study Strategic Management. And at the last, we have shared all the units that we study in the Strategic Management syllabus.
What is Strategic Management?
Strategic management is simply a set of managerial decisions and actions that determines the long-run performance of the organization. It includes all types of environmental scanning (both external and internal), strategy formulation and long-term planning, strategy implementation, and evaluation and control.
The study of Strategic Management emphasizes the monitoring and evaluating of external opportunities and threats in light of the organization’s strengths and weaknesses.
Strategic Management Definition
Definition of Strategic Management from different authors are as follows;
Strategic management is the art and science of formulating, implementing, and evaluating cross-functional decisions that enable the company to achieve its objectives. – Fred R David
Strategic management is defined as that set of managerial decisions and actions that results in formulating of strategy and its implementation to achieve the objectives of the organization. – Channon
► Why do we study Strategic Management?
- To apply strategies and analyze the role of strategist in the business policy of an organization
- To formulate strategic policies plans to take decisions in business-related problems
- To analyze the internal and external environment of business for the purpose of effective strategic planning.
- To evaluate various strategies to develop effective strategies for an organization.
- To devise and implement strategic approaches to manage a business successfully in a global context
► Strategic Management Syllabus
Syllabus of Strategic Management in Masters of Business Administration – 2 Year.
Subject Name: Strategic Management
Subject Code: MBAT 301
Course: MBA III Semester 2020-21
University: Uttarakhand Technical University
Total Credit: 3
Internal Marks: 30
External Marks: 70
Total Marks: 100
Note: This syllabus is as per MBA Academic Session 2020-21 of Uttarakhand Technical University, UTU Dehradun. New Scheme of Examination as per AICTE Flexible Curricula.
Unit 1: Introduction
Scope and Importance of Strategic Management
Nature of Strategic Management,
Strategic Management Process,
Strategic Management Model.
Dimension and Levels of Strategy.
Role of strategists in business Policy
Unit 2: Strategy Formulation
Concept of Planning,
Types of Planning,
Strategic Decision Making,
Vision, mission, and purpose,
objectives and goals of a business organization-
Types of strategies –
Guidelines for crafting successful business strategies.
remote environment analysis,
global environmental analysis.
Resource-based view of the firm,
Capabilities, core competence,
value chain analysis,
sustainable competitive advantage and profitability.
SWOT Analysis. ,
Strategic Analysis and Choice
Environmental Threat and Opportunity Profile (ETOP);
Directional Policy Matrix-
Organizational Capability Profile –
Strategic Advantage Profile
Corporate Level strategies-
growth, stability, renewal,
corporate portfolio analysis,
Business Level Strategies-
Michael Porter’s Generic strategies.
Functional level strategies.
Strategy Implementation and Evaluation
Systems and People,
issues in implementation,
Model of Strategic Implementation,
Strategy and Organisation Structure,
Different Types of Organisational Structure,
Social responsibilities and
Ethics-Building a capable organization-
Symptoms of malfunctioning of strategy-
Operations Control and Strategic Control,
An overview of Strategic Evaluation and
Control-Measurement of performance-
Role of organizational systems in evaluation.
Strategic Management for non-profit organizations.
- Michael A. Hitt, R. Duane Ireland, Robert E. Hoskisson (2008), Management of Strategy-Concepts and Cases, 4/e, Cengage Learning, New Delhi.
- John. A. PearceII, Richard B. Robinson Jr, Amita Mital, (2008), Strategic Management– Formulation, Implementation and Control,1/e, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi.
- Charles. W.L Hill, Gareth R Jones (2005), Strategic Management-An Integrated Approach,6/e, Biztantra, New Delhi.
- Thompson A Jr, A. J. Strickland,(2008), Strategic Management, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing, New Delhi.
- Upendra Kachru, (2005), Strategic Management-Concepts and Case. Excel Books, New Delhi.
- Adrian Haberberg, Alison Rieple (2008). Strategic Management–Theory and Application, Oxford University Press, New Delhi.