Production and Operation Management, in short, POM is an important subject in management study and courses like PGDM, MBA, B.com, M.com, BBA, ..etc. Here we have shared all the topics that are in the syllabus of Production and operation management in the second semester of MBA (Master of Business Administration).
► What is Production and Operation management?
Production and operation management (POM) is defined as the design, operation, and improvement of the transformation process, which converts the various inputs into the desired outputs of products and services.
“Production and operation management can be defined as decision-making in production process activities.”
“It is essential that the goods or services are produced according to required quantity and by the scheduled demand at the minimum cost possible.” – ES Buffa
Why we study Production and Operation Management?
- To analyze the basics of production management and the responsible factors.
- To apply the various types of production processes, the essentialities of a product such as its selection, various procedures, and its stocking.
- To facilitate the various activities relating to scheduling and measuring of production take place and how control can be obtained on both product and quality.
- To develop various models that deal with inventory, control, safety, and security management in the production process.
- To create supply and logistics, distribution networks, and their management.
► Production and Operation Management Syllabus
Syllabus of Production and Operation Management in MBA 2nd semester.
Subject Name: Production and Operation Management
Subject Code: MBAT 207
Course: MBA II Semester 2020-22
University: Uttarakhand Technical University (Dehradun, Uttarakhand)
Total Credit: 3
Internal Marks: 30
External Marks: 70
Total Marks: 100
POM Syllabus in MBA (UTU Dehradun)
Note: This POM Syllabus is as per MBA Academic Session 2020-21 of Uttarakhand Technical University, UTU Dehradun. The production management syllabus is according to the Scheme of Examination as per AICTE Flexible Curricula.
Unit 1: Introduction
Nature and Scope of Production/Operations Management,
POM Relationship with other Systems in the Organisation,
Factors that affect System and Concept of Production and Operation Management.
Types of Manufacturing Systems,
Student Planning and Analysis.
Unit 2: Production System and Related Concepts
Functions of Production and Material Management,
Types of Production Systems,
Productivity Variables, and Productivity Measurement,
Production Planning and Control in Mass Production,
Job Order Production,
Product Design and Development,
Determination of Material Required,
Procedure for Purchasing,
Stocking and Distribution of Materials.
Unit 3: Scheduling and measuring Production Activities
Maintenance Management Concepts,
Work Environment and Safety,
Unit 4: Material and Inventory Management
An overview of Material Management,
Material Planning and Inventory Control,
(Classical EOQ, Model with Shortages ),
Budgeting and Material Planning,
Unit 5: Quality in Prod. & Ops Management
Statistical Process Control,
Total Quality Management,
QMS and ISO Standards.
► Suggested Books & Readings
- Everett E. Adam and Ronald J Ebert, Production and Operation Management: Concepts, Models & Behaviour, PHI New Delhi
- Chary SN, Production, and Operations Management- Concepts, Methods and Strategy, PHI New Delhi 2005
- Buffa. ES, Modern Production Management; John Willey, New York 1993
- Ajay Garg, Production and Operations Management, TMH, Delhi
- Richard B Chase, Ravi Shankar, F.R. Jacobs, N.J. Aquilano, Operations and Supply Management TMH, Delhi
- R Panneerselvam Book, Production and Operations Management, PHI New Delhi
- Joseph Martinich, Production and Operations Management, TMH, Delhi
- K Aswathappa, Production and Operations Management, TMH, Delhi
- Pankaj Madan; Production and Operation Management, Global Vision Publishing, New Delhi (2010)
- William J Stevenson, Operation Management, TMH, New Delhi2009
► MBA (II Sem) Complete Syllabus
- Organizational Behaviour (OB)
- Management Accounting (MA)
- Special Foundation Course (SFC)
- Marketing Management (MM)
- Financial Management (FM)
- Human Resource Management (HRM)
- Production and Operation Management (POM)
- Business Research Methods (BRM)