Manpower planning is a process of determining that an organization has an adequate number of qualified persons available when the organization demand and is ready to perform jobs which as per the need of the enterprise.
In this article, we will give you a complete overview of what is manpower planning, various definitions of manpower planning, the Objective, and the importance of manpower planning.
Business organizations operate in very dynamic business environments where opportunities are converted into actual businesses.
If an organization wants to catch these business opportunities then the organization would need new or more manpower. To overcome the problem of availability of manpower in a short time organization does manpower planning.
► What is Manpower Planning?
Manpower planning is defined as a continuous process of forecasting and assessing the adequate number of employees an organization needs for completing a project, task, or goal within time.
Manpower planning is also known as Human Resource Planning. It helps in addressing current and future manpower requirements for employees.
It includes many parameters to examine the manpower requirement like the number of personnel, different types of skills, time period, demand and supply trends, organizational strategy, etc.
It is defined as a continuous process that helps in determining how and when will new employees be acquired.
This whole process is done keeping in view the goals of the organization, the future predictions for business, and changing technology trends.
This helps the organization be prepared for the future with the current manpower at its disposal for business prosperity.
◉ Manpower Planning Meaning
Manpower planning which is also called Human Resource Planning consists of putting the right number of people, the right kind of people at the right place, at the right time, and doing the right things for which they are suited for the achievement of the goals of the organization.
In simple words manpower planning mean a continuous process it not only analyzes the current human resources of the organization but also makes manpower forecasts and thereby draws employment programs.
◉ Definition of Manpower Planning
“Manpower planning is the process- including forecasting, developing, implementing and controlling-by which a firm ensures that it has the right number of people and right kind of people, at the right place, at the right time, doing things for which they are economically most suitable.” – Edwin B. Geisler
“It is the process by which a firm ensures that it has the right number of people and the right kind of people at the right places and at the right time, doing things in the organization”. – Dale Yoder and H. G. Haneman
“M planning involves two stages. The first stage is concerned with the detailed planning of manpower requirements for all types and levels of employees throughout the period of the plan and the second stage is concerned with the right type of people from all sources to meet the plan requirements.” – Gordon M.C. Beath
“M planning is the process by which management determines how the organization should move from its current manpower position to its desired manpower position. Through planning management strikes to have the right number and the right kind of people, at the right places, at the right time, doing things which results in both the organization and the individual receiving maximum long-run benefit”. – Walter
► Objectives of Manpower Planning
The objectives of M planning or HRP are as follows;
- To Determination of Present and Future Requirements of Personnel
- To the assessment of future skill requirements
- To determination of future training and management development needs
- To formulate effective managerial succession plans
- To estimate optimum manpower requirement and avoidance of unnecessary dismissals of employees.
- To control wage and salary costs
- To promote employment opportunities.
- To prepare manpower inventory.
- To ensure optimum utilization of current human resources
- To prepare a thorough performance appraisal and identification of the best employee.
► Importance of M Planning
Manpower planning is an essential requirement for any business in the following manner.
- It helps the company to be prepared well in advance for the type of employees they would be requiring in their organization in the future.
- It helps the business to hire new skillful and knowledgeable people so they can overcome changing business requirements, technological advancements, etc.
- It helps the business to meet the additional workforce requirement when an organization wants to have its business at different locations, different business domains, etc.
- It helps the company to prevent future collapse by ensuring timely preparation of manpower planning would always help a business grow.
- It helps in formulating managerial succession plans.
- It helps in performance appraisals which enable the employees to feel motivated.
► Process of Manpower Planning
The adaptation of this approach requires a set procedure. The procedure is as follows:
► Factors Affecting Manpower Planning
The factors affecting the M planning of an organization are given below:
- Demand and supply of manpower
- Efficient and effective manpower utilization
- Quality of training employees receive from the organization
- Organization personnel policies.
- Population projections of the country
- Government or privately funded programs of economic and social development,
- Employee education, skill, and experience
- Automation and use of technology
- Industrial and geographical mobility of personnel.
Related HR Topics
- Planning in Management
- Organizing in Management
- Staffing in Management
- Directing in Management
- Controlling in Management
- Steps in Planning Process
- Human Resource Planning
- Types of Plans
- Succession Planning
- Human Resource Development